Keeping You Safe
Bristol Old Vic is committed to keeping everyone safe and secure throughout their visit. To ensure that we can do this during this Covid-19 period, we are:
- Collecting all visitors' information to facilitate NHS Test and Trace.
- Creating a space in which it is easy to socially distance.
- Increasing the volume and intensity of cleaning of all surfaces and contact points across our building.
- Putting up directional signage.
- Creating socially-distanced queuing for toilets and other areas.
- Providing table service in our Bar & Cafe.
- Providing contactless ordering and payment for all products.
- Sanitising all public areas prior to opening and after closing.
- Committing to upgrade our digital tools to make your visitor experience easier.
We are also taking the same safety-focused approach in all other areas of our business including performance and rehearsal situations.
Using the Bar and Café or watching a show in the Bar and Café
While you're with us there are a few things to keep in mind.
If you're watching a show:
- If it's inside, you have to wear a mask for the duration of the performance.
- You don't need to wear a mask for outdoor performances.
- To maintain social distancing and to make it easier to book in a 'bubble' or household, we are selling tickets for whole tables in our Bar & Café and to view our Garden Stage. Shows will be priced per table.
If you're using our Bar & Café:
- You will be asked for basic contact details when you order, to aid NHS Test and Trace.
- We ask that you sit as a 'bubble' or household at your table.
- Ordering is via one of our team who will come to your table. See the menu here.
- While you're in our café to eat or drink, you do not need to wear a mask.
- For the safety of you, other customers and staff, you should wear a mask while moving around our building or visiting any of the toilets.
We ask that any customer displaying any signs or symptoms that could be Covid-related do not attend events or come to the Bar & Café and follow Government advice on self-isolation (and we hope they get better soon!).
Watching a show in the Theatre auditorium
When you're with us to watch a show in the Theatre auditorium, we've got a few points for you to remember:
- Any guests who are displaying any signs or symptoms that could be Covid-related must not attend events in the Theatre and should follow Government advice on self-isolation (and get better soon!).
- If you have a device that can run the NHS COVID-19 app (iOS / Android), please download it. It will alert you if you have had any exposure to the virus.
- Please be mindful of your travel arrangements to allow a good amount of time to arrive before any performance.
- We would advise you avoid travelling on busy public transport if you can, and avoid other congested spaces ahead of the performance, to help us reduce transmission risk.
- Bristol Old Vic will be open for ticket holders for events in the Theatre auditorium three hours prior to an event start time. Please arrive no later than 40 minutes prior to the event start time.
- We will not be admitting latecomers.
- Each 'bubble' (or booking group) will have a table allocated to them in the Bar and Café, which will be retained for their use throughout their visit. On arrival you will be asked to wait at your table before being seated in the auditorium.
- We required all guests to wear face coverings throughout your visit at all times when not at their allocated table. You must wear a face covering throughout the performance.
In the auditorium
- 30 minutes before the show start time, groups will be taken from their allocated tables one by one into the auditorium to take their seats.
- We ask that guests order interval drinks prior to the performance. On our at-table ordering app, mark the 'additional notes' section with the word 'INTERVAL', and our bar staff will make sure your order is ready for you when you come back to your table at the interval.
- Ice creams will be be available to buy during the interval, but please eat these either at your tables.
- Some guests will be asked to leave the auditorium during the interval to allow free passage of other guests in and out of their seats.
- We will be operating a no readmittance policy. If you leave the auditorium before the interval, you will only be able to re-enter at the interval; if you leave the auditorium before the end of a performance, you won't be able to be readmitted.
- We are increasing the amount of air conditioning through the auditorium. This is ensure we have the cleanest air possible, but it will be cooler than usual as a result, so make sure you bring a jumper.
Your Data and NHS Test & Trace
To aid NHS Test and Trace, and in line with Government rules (updated 18 Sep 2020), we are obliged to collect basic contact details from all Bar & Café customers when they order.
In event of cases being linked back to a Bristol Old Vic customer, we can work with health authorities to contact everyone who we have details of, to limit further transmission and keep people safe.
Rest assured your details will not be kept longer than 21 days, are kept separate from our customer information systems, will not be used for anything but to aid NHS Test and Trace, and will be securely destroyed at the end of 21 days.
Asking for customer details for this in no way infringes your rights, and is in line with GDPR or the Data Protection Act. It is now a legal requirement (as of 18 Sep 2020) and failure to share basic contact information will result in us being unable to serve you.
Thank you for helping us keep each other safe.
Download our Covid-Secure risk assessments below for more details on what we're doing to keep everyone safe:
Last updated: 22 Sep 2020