Circa: June 1858
James Chute became manager of the Theatre in 1852. Known as "one of the few experienced, competent, liberal, and judicious directors who make themselves and their art respected", he was "invariably liked and admired both as actor and gentlemen".
His letter to the Proprietors shows Chute was business-savvy: by hinting at the ‘great advantage’ creating a new entrance would give to the upper-class patrons, he was able to persuade the Proprietors to fund renovations.
In 1867 Chute expanded his theatrical domain by building the 'New Theatre Royal', later known as the 'Prince's Theatre', on Park Row. This attracted new audiences from Clifton, but meant the Theatre Royal only opened sporadically and began to fall into disrepair.