Proposal to build a theatre
Dated: 17 September 1764
In 1764 businessmen Alexander Edgar and Thomas Symons proposed building a new theatre on the land between Baldwin Street and the back of Coopers’ Hall in King Street.
The estimated cost was £2000 to be split between 40 subscribers, but the building works cost more than expected. The front of this document shows the initial supporters’ signatures, and the reverse shows that an additional 10 subscribers donated funds in 1766.
This group of investors are known as the ‘Proprietors’. Owning shares allowed them to influence decisions about the Theatre, like who should manage it and whether they should be given money for repairs.