Rep' & Erasure
Bristol Old Vic Theatre is looking for young storytellers with an interest in History and Theatre for an exciting new project...
As part of the project you will:
- Dig into archival material, dating from the 1760s to the present day.
- Collaborate with artists to develop your ideas.
- Learn about digital storytelling including animation.
- Creatively direct a project, including scriptwriting and storyboarding.
- Design an exhibition, to tell the stories that you want to tell.
- Free tickets to shows and social activities.
- Gain experience for your CV, or to help get into further education.
WHO CAN JOIN?
Anyone aged 16 – 18 who is interested in history or theatre and is passionate about change can apply!
DID YOU KNOW we're a very old theatre?
When we were built the USA was still ruled by England, electricity didn’t exist, and Bristol was a very different place. We were here during the Bristol riots of 1834, we hosted the first ever hot air balloon, survived the Bristol Blitz and witnessed the bus boycott.
For every single significant moment of Bristol History over the last 257 years, we’ve been here making plays. And now we want to explore the plays we were making, and what they say about Bristol History, and British Theatre History.
We’re going to do this by looking at one, world famous, set of stories – Arabian nights; which we’ve programmed over and over again. And which is even our winter show this year. How have we represented different cultures, countries and communities on our stage and in our spaces over the last 257 years? Whose voices and cultures have we represented or erased?
We want this project to platform the opinions of young Bristolians within the organisation and to the wider general public. This will be a creative exploration using games, drama and digital storytelling to explore and share meaning.
What to expect
|Sep – Dec 2023||Applications open|
|Jan 2024||Trip to watch Arabian Nights at Bristol Old Vic|
|Apr – Jul 2024||Weekly sessions, Tuesdays 4pm – 6pm at Bristol Old Vic|
|Jul 2024||4 day summer intensive to create the final product!|