The Historic Spaces TourLet our building tell you a tale
Our building has as many fascinating stories to tell as the people who’ve occupied it.
On the Historic Spaces Tour, our guides expertly peel back all the layers of Bristol Old Vic, from Haworth Tompkins’ innovative renovation of our foyer space in 2018 to the work of the theatre’s original architects and engineers in the 1760s. And for the first time, you will be able to step into the theatre’s original roof space and view our iconic Thunder Run.
The ideal outing for anyone interested in the architectural changes and renovations that have kept our theatre open for the people of Bristol and beyond for more than 250 years.
A socially distanced experience, our Theatre Tours are designed for small groups or 'bubbles'. In line with the current guidance, we can accommodate a group of up to 6 people from any number of households for each tour.
Spaces regularly included on The Historic Spaces Tour:
- The new Bristol Old Vic Foyer
- The Georgian Auditorium, Stage, Gallery, and Pit passages
- The Linbury Paintshop
- The Weston Studio
- Coopers’ Hall
- The original theatre roof space and Thunder Run
- You must book your tour at least 72 hours beforehand.
- Comfortable shoes are advised.
- All of our tours have a step-free route for people with access needs. Please advise us at the time of booking if you'd prefer this option by calling 0117 987 7877 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- As a working theatre with ongoing rehearsals and other technical work, there are certain times when parts of the building will be inaccessible. We always endeavour to provide a true behind-the-scenes experience, but it may be necessary for tours to be rescheduled in rare circumstances.
- Please advise your tour guide if you are uncomfortable with heights.
- Unless you are exempt we ask that you bring a mask to wear while on your tour for the safety of customers, guides and staff.
- Find out more about how we’re keeping everyone safe at this time here.